Short day in the shop-didn’t have a lot of free time tonight. Match-drilled the stiffeners to the skins, then removed them and deburred all the holes.
There was also some more fun. As I was trimming the stiffeners last night, I kept thinking it was really odd that the topmost stiffeners were sort of “backwards” from all the others. Earlier today, I briefly walked out to the garage to check things out, and noticed that those same stiffeners looked to have too much material on the leading edge end. I set the spar in place, and yep…they were going to need more trimming. I thought it was especially odd that they didn’t fit quite right in addition to being different from all the others.
It was about four hours later that I had a sudden epiphany. Another trip to the garage confirmed it-I had tapered the wrong end of those two stiffeners. Argh. Luckily, it appears that I’ll still be able to use them; in fact, I went ahead and trimmed them some more this evening so they’ll fit. I’m a bit concerned about the amount of material on the tapered end of these two stiffeners, so I’ve submitted the question to the bright folks over at the VAF forums. I might call the folks at Van’s as well to see if this is an issue. Stiffener material is pretty cheap, but it would be kind of annoying since I just ordered some parts from them.